Cardiovascular Scientist Seminar, Tuesday March 28, 2017
OVC LLC Room 1715, 12:30-1:30pm
Featuring cardiovascular research from CCVI Executive Faculty, Dr. John Dawson and Dr. Lynne O'Sullivan.
Past Cardiovascular Scientist Seminars
CCVI Executive Faculty, Dr. Philip Millar and Dr. Tarek Saleh, Monday February 27, 2017, OVC PATHOBIOLOGY Room 1800, 1-2pm
View Dr. Philip Millar's talk here
View Dr. Tarek Saleh's talk here
Cardiovascular Research Day Conference, Thursday September 29, 2016
OVC PATHOBIOLOGY Room 1800, 12:45-4pm
View conference intro and welcome by Dr. Tami Martino (CCVI Director) and Dr. Malcolm Campbell (VP Research) here
Distinguished Scientist speakers are leaders in the field of cardiovascular research and include:
Dr. Lorrie Kirshenbaum, PhD
Director of Research Development, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Manitoba
Canada Research Chair in Molecular Cardiology
Professor, Physiology & Pathophysiology, Institute of CV Sciences, St. Boniface Centre
"Molecular Regulation of Cardiac Cell Death"
View Dr. Lorrie Kirshenbaum's talk here
Dr. Zam Kassiri, PhD
Associate Professor, Department of Physiology, Cardiovascular Research Centre, University of Alberta
"Diverse and Novel functions of disintegrin and metalloproteinase-17 (ADAM17) in different types of heart disease"
View Dr. Zam Kassiri's talk here
Dr. Robert Gilmour, PhD
Vice-President Research and Graduate Studies, University of Prince Edward Island
"Cardiac Defibrillation: It's been a LEAP Year"
View Dr. Robert Gilmour's talk here
Dr. Kim Connelly, MBBS, PhD, FRACP
Scientist, Keenan Research Centre for Biomedical Science
Director, Krembil Stem Cell Facility, St. Michael's Hospital
University of Toronto Cardiovascular Research Network
"The quest for immortality: A tale of quantum MRI physics, stem cells and the heart"
View Dr. Kim Connelly's talk here
Poster session to follow in OVC Lifetime Learning Centre.
Dr. Tami Martino's lab has created several blogs and scientific databases:
Chronotherapy - Time-of-day treatment for cardiovascular diseases
CircaSNP Database - Circadian Gene SNPs and Disease
Circadian miRNA Database - MicroRNA expression database
CCVI Student Executive Council
A CCVI Student Council has been created, with graduate and undergraduate student representatives from each of the CCVI labs.
Heart and Stroke Foundation Ride for Heart
The CCVI is participating in the Heart and Stroke Ride for Heart on June 5, 2016.
Support our CCVI members by
donating to the Guelph Cardiovascular Centre team
and help fund life-saving Heart & Stroke research.
Shot for the Heart's Speaker Night
Featuring Heart and Stroke Foundation Researcher, Dr. John Dawson, and stroke survivor, Janet Parr.
University of Guelph, Mackinnon Rm 120, 6-7pm
Wednesday, February 24, 2016
CCVI Seminars and Distinguished Scientist Lectures
View Dr. Gavin Oudit's talk here
Cardiovascular Centre launches distinguished speaker series
Elanco Distinguished Speaker
OVC PATHOBIOLOGY room 1810, 12:30-1:45
Tuesday, October 27, 2015
Dr. Gavin Y Oudit, MD, PhD, FRCPC
Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, University of Alberta
Clinician-Scientist, Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute
Canada Research Chair in Heart Failure
Division of Cardiology, 2C2 Walter Mackenzie Health Sciences Centre
Edmonton, Alberta, T6G 2B7
Available scholarships for MSc and PhD students.
Ontario Graduate Scholarship
Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
Biomedical Sciences, OVC, University of Guelph Doctoral Awards
Biomedical Sciences, OVC, University of Guelph Master's Awards
Undergraduate and graduate coursers to prepare you for a career in cardiovascular research and medicine in general at the undergraduate and graduate level.
- Biomedical Physiology BIOM*3200
- Cardiology BIOM*4180
- Research modules BIO*4420
- BIOM research courses (4500, 4510, 4520).
- Introductory Biochemistry BIOC*2580
- Structure & Function in Biochemistry BIOC*3560
- Research Projects in Molecular and Cellular Biology 1 and 2 MCB*4500/4510
- Topics in Molecular and Cellular Biology MCB*4600
- Cardio-respiratory Physiology HK*4550
- Pathophysiology KIN*4050
- Comparative Animal Physiology ZOO*3200
- Developmental Biology ZOO*3050
- Vascular Biology BIOM*6610
- Gene Expression and Health and Disease BIOM*6800
- Research Methods in Biomedical Sciences BIOM*6110
- Advances in Physiology IBIO*6010
- Advanced Topics in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology MCB*6360
- Protein Structural Biology and Bioinformatics MCB*6370
- Physiology VETM*3080
- Clinical Medicine I VETM*3430
- Medicine and Surgery of the Dog and Cat VETM*4470
- Clinical Medicine III VETM*4870
- Clinical Cardiology Rotation VETM*4830
- Electrocardiography, Domestic Animals CLIN*6380
- Readings in Cardiology I and II CLIN 6680 and 6690