Dr. Jeremy A. Simpson & Dr. Coral L. Murrant
PhD Candidate, Human Health and Nutritional Sciences, University of Guelph
MSc, University of Guelph
BSc, University of Guelph
. 2016 Ontario Graduate Scholarship
. 2012-2015 PhD Human Health and Nutrition Scholarship
. 2014 American Thoracic Society James C. Hogg distinction for basic/translational research
. 2014 American Thoracic Society/ Canadian Thoracic Society First place oral presentation and poster award
. 2014 University of Guelph travel award
. 2013 NSERC travel award
. 2012 Ontario Kinesiology Association first place poster prize
Heart failure is more than just a condition of the cardiovascular system with secondary manifestations involving numerous other organ systems. Specifically, respiratory manifestations(pulmonary remodeling, ventilatory dysfunction, diaphragmatic myopathy, etc.) contribute to the salient features of heart failure, dyspnea and exercise intolerance, and often exacerbate the preexisting cardiovascular dysfunction. Therefore, my goal is to understanding the cause(s) and mechanism(s) of respiratory dysfunction in heart failure and to develop novel therapeutic for clinical translation.
. Diaphragmatic atrophy and weakness in heart failure
. Prevention and regression of diaphragmatic myopathy in hypertension and heart failure
. Pulmonary remodeling and mechanisms of acute pulmonary edema/inflammation following myocardial infarction
. Pharmaceutical manipulation of ventilation
Physiological and molecular mechanisms of respiratory dysfunction during hypertension and the progression to heart failure.
Dissecting the role of the myofilament in diaphragm dysfunction during the development of heart failure in mice. Gillis TE, Klaiman J, Foster AJ, Platt MJ, Huber JS, Corso M, Simpson JA. Am J Physiol- Heart and Circ. 2015; 5:571-586.
Respiratory muscle weakness in the Zucker diabetic fatty rat. Allwood MA**, Foster AJ**, Arkell AM, Beaudoin MS, Snook LA, Romanova N, Murrant CL, Holloway GP, Wright DC, Simpson JA. Am J Physiol- Integ and Comp Physiol. 2015; 7:780-787.
Prostaglandins induce vasodilation of the microvasculature during muscle contraction and induced vasodilation independent of adenosine. Murrant CL, Dodd JD, Foster AJ, Inch KA, Muckle FR, Ruiz DA, Simpson JA, Scholl JH. J Physiol. 2014; 592(Pt 6):1267-81.
. 2015 American Thoracic Society, Denver CO
. 2014 American Thoracic Society, San Diego CA
. 2014 International Colloquium of Lung and Airway Fibrosis, Mont Tremblant QC
. 2013 Experimental Biology, Boston MA
. 2012 Muscle Health Awareness, Toronto ON
Presentations and Abstracts:
1. Angiotensin II and Adrenergic Signaling Increase Ventilatory Drive in Heart Failure. Foster AJ, Platt MJ, Murrant CL, Simpson JA.
2. Transient Lung Remodeling Following Myocardial Infarction Impairs Gas Exchange and Reduces Exercise Capacity in mice. Foster AJ, Dadgar K, Platt MJ, Arkell MA, Murrant CL, Simpson JA.
3. A Novel Use of Beta Blockers in Heart Failure: Prevention of Diaphragmatic Myopathy and Respiratory Dysfunction. Foster AJ, Arkell AM, Platt MJ, Gillis TE, Brunt KR, Murrant CL, Simpson JA.
4. The effects of Moderate Hypoxia on Circadian Rhythm: Implications in Disease and Treatment Options. Allwood MA, Foster AJ, Huber JS, Simpson JA.
5. Profound Lung Remodeling In Heart Failure: A Poorly Understood Phenomenon with a Significant Impact. Arkell AM, Foster AJ, Platt MJ, Dadgar K, Murrant CL, Simpson JA.
6. The Effects of Moderate Hypoxia on Circadian Rhythm with Evidence of Altered Vasomotor Control. Allwood MA, Foster AJ, Huber JS, Simpson JA.
7. Characterizing Respirtory Muscle Dysfunction in the ZDF Rat. Arkell AM, Allwood MA, Foster AJ, Beaudoin MS, Snook LA, Romanova N, Wright DC, Simpson JA.
8. Impaired oxygen delivery during exercise in a hypertensive mouse model of heart failure. Arkell AM, Foster AJ, Platt MJ, Dadgar K, Romanova N, Simpson JA.
9. Specific and Progressive Diaphragmatic Myopathy During the Development of Heart Failure. Foster AJ, Arkell AM, Platt MJ, Simpson JA, Murrant CL.
10. Impaired Diaphragm Structure and Function in the ZDF Rat Model of Obesity. Arkell AM, Allwood MA, Foster AJ, Beaudoin MS, Snook LA, Romanova N, Wright DC, Simpson JA.
11. Respiratory Muscle Dysfunction in Obesity- A new Therapeutic Approach for Maximizing Exercise Gains. Arkell AM, Allwood MA, Foster AJ, Beaudoin MS, Snook LA, Romanova N, Wright DC, Simpson JA.
12. Respiratory Muscle Dysfunction Progressively Develops with Specific Contractile Impairements in the Absence of Pulmonary Edema in Mice with Heart Failure. Foster AJ, Platt MJ, Marcynuk T, Simpson JA, Murrant CL.
Professional Society Memberships
2014-Present - Canadian Thoracic Society (CTS)