The Imagery: Still and Video
Images, like all elements of the U of G brand, should reflect the attributes and intentions of our Brand Voice. Imagery is an important communication tool for telling U of G stories. The following guidelines apply to both original and stock photography and video, and may be either conceptual, literal or typographic.
Each layer represents a different aspect of the Improve Life story being told (i.e. the person(s), the work, and/or the outcome). The resulting composition tells a complete visual story of how an individual or group are engaged in work or activities that ultimately Improve Life.
NOTE: All of the below images are for illustration purposes only and must not be used in whole or in part under any circumstances.
A typographic composition may be used in place of images to communicate a complex message, provided that:
- It follows the colour composition(s) formula specified in the Colour Palette section
- It follows the font specifications for title outlined in the Messaging Architecture section
- It follows the voice tone and manner specifications in the choice of words/phrases as outlined in the Brand Voice section
- Words and/or phrases are clustered, aligned, and/or contained with purpose and structure whenever possible
- Scattered or disorderly compositions that feel too organic are avoided
Copyright and Legal Issues
As a general rule, copyrighted material such as photos and text may not be taken from one source and used in another without written permission from the owner of the material. University of Guelph employees who produce websites, publications and other communications material on behalf of the University are responsible for securing the appropriate approvals — including copyright — for all logos, images, artwork and text.
In turn, the logos, images, photos and text that appear in University of Guelph communications material may not be reproduced or expropriated in whole, in part, or in any other manner without written consent from the University; contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
When capturing photo, video and audio of people for use by the University of Guelph it is important to obtain consent. The University provides two forms for use by employees:
- A form for consent and release of image use of an individual person.
- A notice for use when filming on campus.
Please contact email@example.com for a copy of these forms.
For more information or guidance, or if you are looking for additional photos, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org