George Raithby (1901-1981) Professor, Department of Animal Husbandry was the last college farmer to live in this stone house as a private resident with his family. Not only was Raithby an inventive researcher, but he was also an internationally recognized cattle judge and coached the OAC cattle judging team for 16 years. During his time with the Ontario Agricultural College, he was instrumental in establishing the animal breeding lab. Raithby also holds the distinction of being named the first Professor Emeritus of the University of Guelph in 1974, OAC’s centennial year.
Presently Raithby House is home to the Multi-Faith Resource Team as well as Counselling Services After-Hours Drop In – it’s come a long way since it was built in 1882.