The 5th International Conference on the Assessment of Animal Welfare at Farm and Group Level (WAFL) was held at the University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada. The meeting focussed on assessment and auditing of welfare on farm and in groups of animals, with a European emphasis blended with research results from around the world.
WAFL 2014 will be held
in summer of 2014 (dates TBA) in Clermont-Ferrand, France, and will be coordinated by
Isabelle Veissier, Inra. Local organization: UMR1213 Herbivores, F-63122 Saint-Genès-Champanelle, France.
- Development and validation of animal welfare assessment or audit protocols
- Development and validation of innovative/automated measures of welfare
- Practical implementation of animal welfare assessment or audit protocols
- Combinations of animal welfare indicators for comprehensive and efficient welfare assessment
- Integrating animal welfare assessment with assessment of environmental impact or food safety
- Assessing/improving compliance with animal welfare standards or guidelines
- Choosing the right measures, choosing the good measures – lessons learned from new and existing welfare assessment schemes
- Farm animal welfare assessment and sustainability - connecting social and environmental aspects of measuring welfare
- Our experience beyond the farm – animal welfare assessment for zoos, laboratories and animal shelters
- Working with end-users of animal welfare schemes
- Welfare assessment during transport, euthanasia, slaughter
- New and emerging methods for animal welfare assessment
An electronic copy of the proceedings manual can be downloaded here.
This conference was partially supported by grants from the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs including the Agri-Food and Rural Link KTT Program. We would also like to acknowledge the generous support of our sponsors, who helped to make this conference a great success.