Getting Settled

Important Information for Non-Canadian Academics

The following information is directed to non-Canadian candidates who are offered employment from the University of Guelph for a faculty position. It has been prepared as a general guide to the University's involvement in immigration and related matters with respect to tenured and tenure-track employment of non-Canadian academics.

Immigration Matters

  • You will receive an oral tentative offer of employment from the appropriate Chair/Dean at the University of Guelph. This oral offer is conditional upon confirmation from Employment and Social Development Canada that a foreign national may fill the job.

  • Upon acceptance of the tentative offer, the Chair/Dean will work with the University's Office of Faculty and Academic Staff Relations to obtain a positive LMIA Labour Impact Assessment Application.

  • Upon receipt of LMIA confirmaton, the Dean will send you a formal offer letter, along with a copy of the LMIA confirmation letter. The offer letter will outline the terms and conditions of your appointment, including immigration requirements.

  • The LMIA letter will instruct you to apply for a Canadian Work Permit at a visa office most convenient to you that processes applications. For instructions on how to apply, you should consult the website for that Canadian Embassy, high commission or consulate. It is recommended that you apply for a three year work permit.

  • When you have received your Work Permit, you can enter Canada on a temporary basis to work at the University of Guelph in the specified occupation.

  • You must apply for Permanent Residence in your country of residence or your country of nationality. If you have a work permit that is valid for at least one year, then you may apply for permanent residence at the Canadian Immigration Regional Program Centre of the Canadian Consulate General in Buffalo, New York or at the Canadian diplomatic mission that has jurisdiction over your country of nationality. Where you apply matters because some diplomatic missions take more time to process applications for permanent residence than other missions. These time differences can be significant. Please note that you can expect to pay $1500-4000 CAD depending on your family size.

For further details visit
Citizenship & Immigration Canada (CIC)
Canadian Visa Offices
Canadian Consulate, Buffalo
Immigrating to Canada as a skilled worker

CIC Call Centre (24 hour automated telephone service in Canada)
Citizenship and Immigration 1- 888- 242- 2100
Permanent Resident Card 1- 888-255-4541

Health Insurance for New Faculty

Ontario residents are eligible for provincially funded health care coverage through the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP). There is a minimum 3 month waiting period for new members enrolling in the OHIP. Upon your arrival in Ontario please contact Human Resources at the University to make arrangements for private insurance coverage. For the period while you are not covered by the provincial plan, OHIP, you and your family will be enroled in the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) to a maximum of 4 months prior to your date of employment or to a maximum of 20 days prior to your date of employment if you are hired after August 31, 2005. Please review the UHIP Booklet as it provides details about eligibility and level of insurance coverage. Premium and are paid through payroll deduction.

Please note that you and accompanying family members must be covered by OHIP or UHIP on arrival in Ontario. Please contact Human Resources at (519) 824-4120, extension 53374 or for further information.

In addition the University provides full-time faculty and their spouses and dependents with an Extended Health Care Plan that covers prescription drugs, vision care, hospital accommodation, paramedical services and supplies, out-of province emergency care, and more.

For further details visit

Social Insurance Number (SIN)

As soon as you arrive in Canada, you need to apply for a SIN for payroll purposes. Application forms are available at the Service Canada website. You can take the completed application, along with your work permit, passport and University of Guelph appointment letter, to the Service
Canada office. If you run into any problems, your HR service assistant can guide you. As soon as you receive your SIN, please notify HR and provide the number.

Guelph Service Canada Centre
259 Woodlawn Rd. Suite C
Guelph, Ontario
N1H 8J1



Settlement.Org provides information about settling in Ontario, including a guide for newcomers - Your First Days in Ontario - and a list of services and resources in the Guelph area.

Canadian Relocation Systems provides an online guide for people relocating or moving to Guelph, organized by categories of interest from Accountants to Weather.

International Salary Calculator allows you to compare the cost of living where you are with Guelph.