History of Herbarium

 

The University of Guelph Herbarium was founded by the Ontario Agricultural College (OAC) as an offshoot of a natural history museum founded in 1870. OAC managed the collection from 1870-1971 with the accession of 45,000 specimens. In 1971 the College of Biological sciences (CBS) was established and took over the responsibility of running the herbarium from 1971-2003 with the accession of an additional 15,000 specimens. In 2003, joint collections were named the “University of Guelph Herbarium” within the Biodiversity Institute of Ontario (BIO), a University initiative joining the strengths of the OAC and the CBS. The collaborative flavour of this plan is reflective of the inter-collegiate history of the herbarium. Since then the University of Guelph Herbarium collection has expanded to included vouchers for DNA barcoding and ethnobotanical vouchers called the Aboriginal Repository of Knowledge (ARK). The total University of Guelph Herbarium collection currently houses 90,000 specimens andis located within the newly constructed Centre for Biodiversity Genomics (CBG) at the Biodiversity Institute of Ontario (BIO).

Staff

Dr Steven G. Newmaster is the current Director (2003-present) of collections and Chief Curator.

Carole Ann Lacroix is the curator responsible for collection general administrationand provides training and expertise in plant ID.

Dr Subramanyam Ragupathy is curator of BIO collections (DNA barcoding vouchers), ARK collections and database manager for the Herbarium Information Management System (HIMS).

http://www.uoguelph.ca/foibis/

  © 2012 BIO Herbarium, University of Guelph. Web development supported by J.Jaga Deesan.