Professor and Head – Food Science & Human Nutrition, University of Illinois (posted June 2012)
Job Details - Professor and Head – Food Science & Human Nutrition (F1200060)
Title: Professor and Head – Food Science & Human Nutrition (F1200060)
Category: Faculty and Other Academic
Opened Date: June 22, 2012
Close Date: August 1, 2012
College Name or Administrative Unit: ACES
Professor and Head
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition (FSHN)
College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is searching to fill the position of Professor and Head, Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition (FSHN). The Head is a senior member of the college administrative team and is expected to provide departmental leadership in a decentralized campus environment that emphasizes academic excellence and fulfillment of the Land Grant mission. This is an administrative position with responsibility for guiding the department’s research, teaching, and Extension and outreach activities.
The Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition (FSHN) includes 26 tenure-track faculty members involved in teaching, research and extension, with expertise in food chemistry, food microbiology, food processing/engineering, sensory science, human nutrition, dietetics, and hospitality management. The department offers curricula for approximately 420 undergraduates, 80 graduate students pursuing MS and PhD degrees on campus, and 60 students pursuing an Off-Campus Master's degree in food science. For more information see http://fshn.illinois.edu/.
PhD in food science, nutrition, or closely related field with a strong background in research and resident instruction or extension education, and evidence of excellent administrative ability required. Must be qualified for a tenured appointment at the rank of full professor. The candidate must have strong communication skills and the ability to work effectively with faculty, students, staff, administrators, and various stakeholder groups. An understanding of and commitment to the goals of a Land Grant university is essential. Experience with public and private funding sources is necessary.
The Professor and Head of the Department of FSHN is a full-time administrative position responsible for the administration of the teaching, research, and extension activities of the Department, specifically:
• Provide strategic leadership to the faculty and staff
• Establish goals and develop and communicate policy guidelines in consultation with the faculty
• Oversee the teaching, research, and extension programs in the Department
• Inspire academic excellence through recruitment, mentoring, and encouragement of faculty, staff, and students
• Administer budgetary and financial matters within the department, including financial accounting, budget preparation, allocation of funds among departmental programs and personnel
• Plan and implement programs to enhance departmental research and educational facilities
• Initiate and facilitate the acquisition of outside support and resources to advance Department goals
• Represent the Department at the College and Campus levels
• Extend and enhance relationships with stakeholders and other key external partners at the state, national, and international levels
Proposed Starting Date: After November 1, 2012 and preferably before January 1, 2013
Salary: The salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To ensure full consideration, candidates should apply by August 1, 2012.
Please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a letter of application/interest, curriculum vita and contact information for three (3) professional references (include name, title, address, phone, fax, email) by close of business on August 1, 2012. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be given full consideration.
For further information, contact Dr. K.C. Ting, Search Committee Chair, via e-mail (email@example.com).