Geography News and Jobs
- Geography has fun! Each year at the Christmas party, we entertain each other with skits or songs. Check out the videos from this year:
Faculty Staff video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnzfPqo9A0I
PhD Silent Movie:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Mv45bBgy7E
First Year Grads: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku06ymFuFsk
Second Year Grads: http://youtu.be/4TmK-w3k1I8
- The CSAHS Awards Ceremony and Reception 2013 was held Wednesday Nov. 13 with Interim Dean, Geography's John Smithers. The following Geography students were honoured:
- Dorian Pomezanski (Geography Alumni Semester 4 Scholarship)
- Dylan Ross, (Dr. Frederick and Mrs Mabel Hung Memorial Scholarship)
- Joanna Salsberg (Dr. F.A. Dahms Geography Alumni Scholarship)
- Megan Simas (Geography Alumni Semester 6 Scholarship)
- Liia Hurrell (Geography Field Trip Travel Grant)
- Matyas Lukacs, Env. Governance (Grants for Undergraduate Experiential Learning)
- Jeffrey Baldwin (International Development Studies Prize)
- Megan Simas (J.W. Skinner Honours Scholarship in Social Science)
- Rachel Humphrey (Founder's Graduate Scholarship)
- Are you an Alumni of Geography or have you been on the Geography Field Course? Check out the newly updated Field Trip page!
- John Lindsay launches the new version of Whitebox 2.0
Whitebox Geospatial Analysis Tools is an open-source and transparent geographical information system (GIS) and remote sensing package that is flexible and powerful. This latest version of Whitebox, which has been developed for the Java platform, will now run on Microsoft Windows, Linux as well as the Mac OS.
Whitebox is easy to use, despite being a powerful software package for performing advanced geospatial analysis operations. This fact, combined with the rich help documentation and the ability to easily drill down into the workings of each tool's algorithm, makes Whitebox ideal for education as well as research.
Recent faculty publications
Campbell, L.M., N.J. Gray, L.W. Fairbanks, J.J. Silver, and R.L. Gruby. 2013. Oceans at Rio+20: Success or Failure? Conservation Letters 6(6): 439-447.
Silver, J.J. 2014. Shellfish and coastal change: Pacific oysters and Manila clams in BC waters. BC Studies 181 (forthcoming).
Silver, J.J. 2013. Neoliberalizing coastal space and subjects: On shellfish aquaculture projections, interventions and outcomes in British Columbia, Canada. Journal of Rural Studies 32: 430-438
Parizeau, K. 2013. "Formalization beckons: a baseline of informal recycling work in Buenos Aires, 2007-2011."; Environment and Urbanization, 25(2), pp. 501-521.;
Hawkins, R., M. Manzi and D. Ojeda. (forthcoming) Lives in the making: Power, academia and the everyday. ACME: An International E-Journal for Critical Geographers.
Morrow, O., R. Hawkins and L. Kern (forthcoming). Feminist Research in online spaces. Gender, Place and Culture.
Rahimzadeh-Bajgiran*, A.A. Berg, C. Champagne and P., K. Omasa. Estimation of Soil Moisture using Optical/Thermal Infrared Remote Sensing in the Canadian Prairies. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing In Press.
Rowlandson, TL., AA. Berg, PR. Bullock, E.R Ojo, H McNairn, G. Wiseman and MH. Cosh. Evaluation of several calibration procedures for a portable soil moisture sensor. Journal of Hydrology, doi: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2013.05.021 In Press
Robert Milne, Lorne Bennett and Mathew Hoyle. 2013. Weather variability permitted within amphibian monitoring protocol and affects on calling Hylidae. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment. DOI:10.1007/s10661-013-3221-4
Hawkins, R. (2013) Gender, Climate Science and Technology in Climate Change: An Encyclopedia of Science and History. Editors: Brian Black, David Hassenzahl, Jennie C. Stephens, and Gary Weisel. ABC-Clio Publishers. Santa Barbara, CA.
- Post-doctoral position to model water quality in six target watersheds of Lake Ontario (for the GLAP V project)
- Operations Manager, White Mountains Research Center, University of California.