University of Guelph History
Education on the Guelph campus has a long tradition, beginning over one hundred years ago when the Ontario government purchased a five hundred-acre farm from Frederick William Stone for its new School of Agriculture. In this promising location, the Ontario School of Agriculture opened its doors on May 1, 1874.
In 1880, the name of the institution was changed to the Ontario Agricultural College (OAC) and Experimental Farm.
In 1903, OAC was joined on campus by the Macdonald Institute which provided instruction in nature study, manual training, domestic science and domestic art.
In 1922, the Ontario Veterinary College became the third college to join the campus. Actually the oldest of the founding colleges and the oldest college of its kind in North America, it was originally established in Toronto in 1862.
On May 8, 1964 the University of Guelph Act was passed by the Ontario legislature, bringing these three full fledged colleges together as a single institution. The new university was to be governed by two senior bodies - the Board of Governors and the Senate, the former having responsibility for administrative and budgetary matters, the latter for academic concerns. Together, they possess the decision-making power of the university.
In October 1964, the Senate of the University of Guelph created Wellington College which offered degree programs in arts and sciences. Five years later, the college's three departments were divided into three new colleges: the College of Arts, the College of Physical Science and the College Social Science. The Macdonald Institute formally became the College of Family and Consumer Studies at this time as well.
In 1971, the College of Biological Science was constituted from the School of Physical Education, OAC's Department of Nutrition and parts of OAC's departments of Botany, Microbiology and Zoology.
In 1989 OAC's school of Engineering was amalgamated with the College of Physical Sciences to become the College of Physical and Engineering Sciences.
In 1998 the College of Family and Consumer Studies was amalgamated with the College of Social Science to become the College of Social and Applied Human Sciences.
In 2006, the University drew together its programs in business, economics and management to create the College of Management and Economics.