1. Approval of the Agenda
The agenda was approved.
2. Business Arising
Web Portal Update – Mike Ridley
Mike and Ron met with
Maureen Mancuso earlier this week. She approved the three ISC recommendations.
Most of the funding issues have been resolved, but discussion around
certain aspects is continuing. The Portal Evaluation Steering Group
(PESG) will proceed with defining and issuing the RFQ and moving
the portal project forward.
Delivery On/Off Campus – Paul Briggs
Paul reviewed the role
of Campus Services and its responsibility for mail delivery on campus
as part of CCS’ mandate. He told the group that with the dramatic
increase in email flow over the past few years we have seen an extensive
increase in viruses and a massive increase in spam. This has resulted
in a negative impact on the network and University. In addition,
there has been a rise in compromised machines that generate large
volumes of mail (usually virus or spam laden). To get better control
of email, all email on/off campus will pass through centrally managed
hosts. The impact would be minimal; 95% of mail is already delivered
through centrally managed mail services. Only a few departments
and workstations will have to change.
The question was raised
as to whether or not the regional colleges were affected by this.
Paul explained that it was only the colleges with central accounts
with the uoguelph domain that would be affected. Mike asked if all
the colleges could be part of this process. Paul will work with
OAC to investigate this further.
There was discussion as
to policies on campus and the fact desktop computing is not included.
The question was asked, “Do we need to be more proactive to update
virus scanning on desktops and can we enforce this.” Ron Elmslie
explained that he raised this with his counterparts as other Universities.
There is no technology with the capability to do this. The key is
to educate users. Mike suggested that this issue could be addressed
as part of the mandate of the task group on campus information technology
It was also agreed that
articles in the “At Guelph” and the Ontarion would help educate
users on the email/spam filtering and virus scanning.
ISC was supportive of
the plan to manage the flow of email and to better control the proliferation
of spam and viruses.
Networking – Jim Lennie
At the Feb. 12, ISC meeting
Jim was directed to form a taskforce to develop a policy for wireless
networking at the University of Guelph. The task group consisted
of Jim Lennie, (Chair) CCS, Steve Borho, TSS, Tony Mackay, OAC,
Ron MacKinnon, Library, Kerry Lissemore, OVC, Blair Nonnecke, CPES
and Kent Percival, CCS.
Jim briefly reviewed the
policy. There was some discussion regarding access and guest accounts.
Jim explained that these were implementation issues and could be
ISC was informed that
a campus wireless implementation plan would be brought forward in
the Fall semester of this year.
Jim asked for ISC to approve
the policy. A motion was made by Chuck Cunningham to accept the
policy and it was seconded by Bill Apsit. Everyone agreed.
Introduction to Institutional Repositories and DSpace Technologies
Helen and Ron provided
an overview of institutional repositories. They explained and demonstrated
DSpace, which is a specialized type of digital asset management
or content management. It manages and distributes digital items,
made of digital files and allows for the creation, indexing, and
searching of associated metadata to locate and retrieve the items.
They outlined the principles and issues concerning institutional
Technologies – new applications and issues – Kent Percival
Kent gave an overview of
video technology and video streaming. He explained that multimedia
communication is the new medium for collaboration and learning.
He reviewed the history of video conferencing and how the technology
has matured. He outlined the common infrastructure of both video
conferencing and video streaming and the institutional directions.
Ron and Mike agree that campus
coordination of infrastructure and support for digital streaming
technology would be appropriate and will contact the Provost to
recommend a course of action.
7. Future Meetings: the next
meeting will be scheduled in late June/early July.