President's Awards for Exemplary Staff Service
The Annual President’s Awards for Exemplary Staff Service celebrate employees who have demonstrated outstanding service to the University community and/or who have made extraordinary contributions to the University community beyond what is normally expected in their job. The award is $2,000 in each of 7 different categories and recipients are recognized at a special annual event.
- Exemplary commitment to the University of Guelph and its mission of “excellence in teaching, research and service”.
- Unexpected, unusual, or new/high standard of excellence above and beyond what is normally expected in their job.
- Actions make an outstanding contribution to the University community.
Who Is Eligible?
- All current non-academic staff who have served a minimum of 2 years prior to nomination deadline
- The nominee must be in active service at the time of the nomination deadline.
- An individual or team may be nominated more than once but may not receive an award more than once.
- An individual or team can be re-nominated in the subsequent year for a maximum of two years.
- All individuals nominated as part of a team must meet the same criteria.
- Former award recipients are ineligible.
- Former employees and retirees are ineligible.
- Self-nominations are not accepted.
Who May Nominate?
How to nominate:
- Find detailed terms, process, award categories and forms in the content below.
- Tell the story! Using the category-specific nomination form, provide clear and specific examples of why the nominee should be considered for the award.
- Get support! Nominators are encouraged to include up to three letters of support for the nomination (maximum 250 words each).
- Send completed package to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than May 1.
- Questions? Please contact Claire Alexander, ext. 53098 or email@example.com .
Terms of Reference – updated 2016
In its deliberations, the Selection Committee may consider the following:
- activities that warrant special consideration;
- breadth and depth of the impact of the nominee’s service or achievement;
- strength and clarity of the nomination.
- Representation of the broad range of occupations across the University
There are seven (7) categories of awards, five (5) for individual nominations, one (1) for a team nomination and one (1) for either a team or individual nomination.
In addition, consideration may be given to how well the awards represent the broad range of occupations across the University.
The nomination form should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than May 1. Each nomination must be signed by two nominators, including one person who is identified as the lead nominator. The lead nominator is encouraged to elicit a maximum of three letters of support (no longer than 250 words each) from individuals/sources. Nominations may come from staff, faculty, students, alumni and retirees of the University.
The nomination is limited to the completion of the nomination form and up to three letters of support. The total of Sections 1-3 of the nomination must be no longer than 600 words. A longer application is not necessarily a better application, please stay within the word limit guidelines.
Recommended by the Vice-President (Finance, Administration and Risk) and appointed by the President, the Selection Committee for the awards will normally be drawn from alumni, members of the Board of Governors, college deans, department chairs, students and staff. Appointments to the Selection Committee will be made by the President prior to the May 1 nomination deadline each year.
The Vice-President (Finance, Administration and Risk) will chair the committee and a staff member in the Office of the President will serve as the committee’s Executive Secretary.
Appointments to the Selection Committee will normally be for a two-year term. No member may be appointed for more than two consecutive terms. A member of the Selection Committee who is nominated for an award will have the option of allowing the nomination to stand, in which case he or she will resign from the Selection Committee and a new member will be appointed by the President. A member of the Committee cannot act as a nominator.
One award in each of the seven (7) categories may be presented annually to recipients recommended by the Selection Committee for approval by the President. The decision to recommend an award in each of the categories in any given year will be at the discretion of the Selection Committee.
The President's Awards for Exemplary Staff Service consist of the following:
- Employee(s) selected will receive an award of $2,000 and a recognition award at a University event celebrating their contributions to the University of Guelph community.
- Group or team awardees will share the cash award.
- Recipients will have their name(s) added to an appropriate permanent form of institutional recognition.
- All nominees who are not selected will receive recognition of nomination and can be re-nominated in the subsequent year.