Grand Challenges Canada - Global Mental Health call for proposals
Grand Challenges Canada is seeking to improve treatments and expand access to care. We are committing up to $10 million CAD for the most promising bold ideas with big impact. Our focus is on low- and lower-middle-income countries and Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) ‘Countries of Focus’. We expect to fund proposals through two funding streams: seed grants (up to $250,000 CAD over 2 years) and transition-to-scale grants (up to $2,000,000 CAD over 3 years).
Proposals must provide innovative solutions to address one (or more) of the following challenges in low-resource settings:
- Integrate screening and core packages of services into routine primary health care
- Reduce the cost and improve the supply of effective medications
- Provide effective and affordable community-based care and rehabilitation
- Improve children’s access to evidence-based care by trained health providers
- Develop effective treatments for use by non-specialists, including lay health workers with minimal training
- Incorporate functional impairment and disability into assessment
- Develop mobile and IT technologies (such as telemedicine) to increase access to evidence-based care
Grand Challenges Canada is looking for solutions that demonstrate a clear path to scale and sustainability, have measurable outcomes of increased access to care and improved treatment, and can ultimately serve as models that can be replicated or scaled in other low-resource settings, or have lessons for other settings. Grand Challenges Canada does not fund capacity-building initiatives alone. We are seeking evidence-based, affordable treatments or innovative service delivery models that can be scaled in a sustainable manner.
For more information about this request for proposal and how to apply, visit: http://www.grandchallenges.ca/grand-challenges/gc4-non-communicable-diseases/mentalhealth/
INTERNAL DEADLINE: January 28, 2013 – Office of Research Services, Ornella McCarron, Grants Officer
EXTERNAL DEADLINE: February 4, 2013 – email to globalmentalhealth@grandchallengesca