The Ontario Aggregate Resources Corporation (TOARC) has a Research Technician position.
TOARC Job Opportunities
Management of Abandoned Aggregate Properties (MAAP)
The Management of Abandoned Aggregate Properties (MAAP) program undertakes the rehabilitation of former pits and quarries across the Province of Ontario and conducts research on aggregate resource management, including rehabilitation. MAAP is seeking a ‘Research Technician’ to undertake a compressive inventory of agricultural rehabilitation of former pits and quarries that are now agriculture. This inventory will provide a basis for further agriculture research.
The primary focus of the work will be to locate, document and create a database of former pits and quarries that have been rehabilitated to agriculture land. The assessment will include compiling an inventory of the site including; landowner experience (ex. crop yields, nutrient addition, etc.), soil characteristics, photographic record, property sketch, GPS reading and description of adjacent land use.
The work will include contact with landowners and will require extensive travel on assignment throughout Southern Ontario.
Skills and Requirements
- University education with a background in environmental science, geography, agriculture, ecology or related field.
- Proficient with computers (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Willingness to travel throughout Ontario.
- Think critically, make decisions and express ideas.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to prioritize, work independently and meet set deadlines.
- Must possess a valid G Class driver’s licence and meet requirements to rent vehicles from commercial rent-a-car companies.
This is a contract position commencing on February 4, 2013 extending twelve months. Salary will be negotiated in the range of $3,000 - $3,500/month. Transportation will be provided for fieldwork and the candidates will be reimbursed for other related travel expenses. Resumes will be accepted until 9:00 a.m. January 14, 2013. ONLY APPLICANTS SELECTED FOR INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED.
SUBMIT COVER LETTER
AND RESUME DIRECTLY TO:
Executive Assistant & Project Coordinator
1001 Champlain Ave. Suite 103
Burlington, Ontario L7L 5Z4
NO CALLS PLEASE