JOSEPHY LABORATORY REGULATIONS
University of Guelph Department of CELLULAR AND MOLECULAR BIOLOGy
SC2205 Revised Sept. 2004
In case of emergency, call the University emergency line ext. 2000
and contact Dr. Josephy (821-8293)
Please keep this memo for future reference.
If you are in doubt about any procedure, stop and ask for advice before proceeding.
A Researcher's Guidelines for the Safe Handling of Chemical Carcinogens
(from ChemSyn Science Laboratories)
- Take a moment to review RISKS.
- Be aware of CONTAMINATION points.
- WASH and/or SHOWER after possible contamination and after leaving the work area.
- NO eating, drinking, smoking, chewing gum or tobacco, or applying cosmetics in the laboratory.
- NO storage of food or eating utensils in the laboratory.
- NO oral pipetting.
- ALWAYS wear: protective coveralls or labcoat, gloves, safety glasses, proper foot protection.
- Dispose of all contaminated protective clothing IMMEDIATELY.
- Use RESPIRATOR protection when necessary.
- Cover all work surfaces for easy CLEAN-UP and DECONTAMINATION.
- Keep working quantities to a MINIMUM.
- Keep the generation of dusts and aerosols to a MINIMUM.
- Do all laboratory manipulations in the proper CONTAINMENT DEVICE.
- Keep the laboratory area CLEAN and ORGANIZED.
- Review all RISKS one more time.