Barrie Public Library - Carnegie promise 23 July 1914
Barrie Carnegie library entrance on Collier Street, n.d.
Andrew Carnegie promised a grant of $15,000 for construction of a free public library in 1914. The building was completed at the corner of Collier and Mulcaster Streets in 1917. The architect was Alfred H. Chapman, who previously had designed the Toronto Reference Library on College Street. Fashioned in the classic Beaux-Arts style, this storey and a half building featured Palladian style doors and windows, a hipped roof, and relatively modest front steps at the entrance.
Source: National Archives of Canada, PA-57973
Page created on 21 May 1997
Last modified on