About Libs Today | Digital docs | Ontario history | Photo gallery | Blog  

Bracebridge Public Library

Carnegie promise 1906

Bracebridge became a free public library in 1901. In 1906, after Andrew Carnegie promised a grant of $10,000, construction began on a new library building which was completed in December 1907. Free access was allowed to books in the stack room situated at the rear of the main floor.

Cost: building $7,200; site $1,000; furnishings $1,000; heating system $900.

Size: 38 ft. x 48 ft.

Source: Archives of Ontario, S-2021

Photo caption: Bracebridge exterior, c.1907: brick, stone, and slate roof

Page created on 19 May 1997
Last modified on


Created February 1996 | Book requests or comments to: Libraries Today | top of this page |