About Libs Today | Digital docs | Ontario history | Photo gallery | Blog  

Brockville Public Library

Cornerstone laid 28 Oct. 1903


Brockville exterior, c. 1905: red pressed brick,
grey stone with slate roof.

Brockville used a $17,500 gift from Andrew Carnegie to build a corner entrance library which opened to the public in August 1904. The library was designed with closed metal stacks and utilized indicators adjacent to the charge out desk.

Main floor: reference room, stack room, general reading room, and librarian's office.

Size: 61 ft. x 65 ft.

Source: Archives of Ontario, S-2192

Page created on 13 May 1997
Last modified on


Created February 1996 | Book requests or comments to: Libraries Today | top of this page |