About Libs Today | Digital docs | Ontario history | Photo gallery | Blog  

Chatham Public Library

Opened 14 Sept. 1903


Chatham Carnegie library, c.1905. Exterior finish stone in coursed ashlar and pressed brick.

Chatham established a free public library in 1890. A gift of $19,000 from Andrew Carnegie was received in January 1902 and then used to erect a new library which was completed in 1903. The stack room extruded in a semi-circle at the back of the library building. A dome was another special feature of this library.

Main floor: stack room, reference room, librarian's office, men's reading room, ladies' reading room, delivery area.

Size: 60 ft. x 60 ft.

Source: Archives of Ontario, S-2199

Page created on 14 May 1997

Created February 1996 | Book requests or comments to: Libraries Today | top of this page |