About Libs Today | Digital docs | Ontario history | Photo gallery | Blog  

Claremont Public Library

First established 1891

Claremont established a Mechanics' Institute in November 1891. Mr. Jobbitt was the first librarian and the library operated from his store. In 1895 the institute became a public library (not free). After 1897 the library was open three afternoons and evenings each week. It continued in its location until Mr. Jobbitt resigned in 1903.

Source: Archives of Ontario, S-13475.

Photo caption: Claremon Public Library (not free), c.1895-1903

Page created on 19 May 1997, modified 15 July 2000
Last modified on


Created February 1996 | Book requests or comments to: Libraries Today | top of this page |