About Libs Today | Digital docs | Ontario history | Photo gallery | Blog  

Clinton Public Library

Opened in 1900

Clinton Public Library ("Stavely Hall"), c.1903-04

Residents in Clinton established a free public library in 1900 by a vote of 225 to 121. This decision came after the estate of a local resident, James Stavely, was transfered to the municipality by provincial legislation (59 Vic., c.6). According to the terms of this Act, $10,000 could be used to erect a building for public use by the community. A library readily suited this purpose.

Main floor: reading room and closed stack room for books.

Source: Archives of Ontario, S-2029

Interior view, c.1903-04 (Source: Archives of Ontario, S-2031)

Page created on 20 May 1997, modified 15 July 2000
Last modified on


Created February 1996 | Book requests or comments to: Libraries Today | top of this page |