About Libs Today | Digital docs | Ontario history | Photo gallery | Blog  

Collingwood Public Library

Opened in 1904


Collingwood exterior, c.1905, finished in pressed brick.

Collingwood established a free public library in 1896. After a Carnegie grant of $14,500 was promised in August 1901, a building was constructed on a lot donated by Thomas and John J. Long in 1903-04 at the corner of Maple and Second Streets.

Main floor: general reading room, ladies' reading room, stack room, board room, and catalogue room.

Cost: $14,500 (exclusive of site) plus $2,000 for furnishings.

Size: 49 ft. x 55 ft.

Source: Archives of Ontario, S-2033

Page created on 13 May 1997, modified 15 July 2000
Last modified on

Created February 1996 | Book requests or comments to: Libraries Today | top of this page |