About Libs Today | Digital docs | Ontario history | Photo gallery | Blog  

Goderich Public Library

Opened 3 March 1905

Goderich received a promise of $10,000 from Andrew Carnegie in March 1902. After a short delay in securing a town property, construction began and was completed by January 1905. The new building, which featured a Romanesque style with a conical tower, opened to the public in March 1905.

Cost: $9,300 building; $300 furnishings

Main floor: general reading room, ladies' reading room, stack room, board room.

Source: Archives of Ontario, S-2040

Photo caption: Goderich stone and red-brick exterior, c.1905

Page created on 19 May 1997
Last modified on


Created February 1996 | Book requests or comments to: Libraries Today | top of this page |