About Libs Today | Digital docs | Ontario history | Photo gallery | Blog  

Grafton Public Library

Founded in 1906

Grafton Public Library street front, c.1906-1911

Grafton, a small hamlet east of Cobourg in Northumberland County, established a public library for members on a subscription basis in 1906. For some time it shared quarters with a post office. The library was typical for a small community during the first decade of the twentieth century.

Source: Report of the Minister of Education (Ontario) for 1911.

Page created on 26 May 1997
Last modified on

Created February 1996 | Book requests or comments to: Libraries Today | top of this page |