About Libs Today | Digital docs | Ontario history | Photo gallery | Blog  

Guelph Public Library

Opened 29 Sept. 1905


Guelph Carnegie library, c.1905. Exterior finished in artificial stone.

Guelph passed a bylaw to create a free public library in 1883 and became one of the first free Canadian libraries in the following year. After a Carnegie grant of $24,000 was offered in 1901, a new library opened officially in September 1905. The library permitted free access, used the Dewey decimal system classification, and provided a card catalogue. The motto, "Floreat Scientia" ("Let Knowledge Grow") was carved above the stone entrance. A special Guelph feature was its dome, one of the few built in this fashion in Canada.

Main floor: board room, magazine room, stack room, reading room, and reference room.

Size: 56 ft. x 75 ft.

Source: Archives of Ontario, S-2035

Page created on 13 May 1997
Last modified on

Created February 1996 | Book requests or comments to: Libraries Today | top of this page |