About Libs Today | Digital docs | Ontario history | Photo gallery | Blog  

Hamilton Public Library

Opened 16 September 1890

Municipal ratepayers in Hamilton voted to established a free public library in 1889 after previous efforts had not proved successful. A new building was erected with the Earl and Countess of Aberdeen in attendance at its official opening in September 1890. The exterior featured the Victorian predeliction for eclectic styles and Romanesque windows.

Main floor: reading rooms, board room, and stack room.

Size: 62 ft. x 115 ft.

Cost: $35,350 building; $4,320 furnishings.

Source: Report of the Minister of Education (Ontario) for 1906

Photo caption: Hamilton Public Library exterior, c.1905, featuring its tower

Interior view, n.d. (Source: Hamilton Public Library

Reading room, c. 1905 (Source: Archives of Ontario, S-2041)

Page created on 20 May 1997
Last modified on

Created February 1996 | Book requests or comments to: Libraries Today | top of this page |