About Libs Today | Digital docs | Ontario history | Photo gallery | Blog  

Kitchener Public Library

Cornerstone laid 15 Oct. 1902

Kitchener entrance with pressed brick exterior, c.1905.

Kitchener established a free public library in 1884. After the library board approached Andrew Carnegie in 1901, three grants were offered: a gift of $15,000 in 1902 and two additional offers in 1903-04 to bring the total to $24,500. The building was formally opened on 9 January 1904 at the corner of Queen and Weber Streets. Free access was granted to all books, except fiction.

Main floor: large reading room (including children's department, German department, magazine and newspaper rooms), librarian's office, and reference room.

Cost: $20,000 for building and $4,500 for furnishings

Source: Archives of Ontario, S-2043

Interior view (Source: Archives of Ontario, c.1905, S-2044)

Page created on 14 May 1997
Last modified on

Created February 1996 | Book requests or comments to: Libraries Today | top of this page |