About Libs Today | Digital docs | Ontario history | Photo gallery | Blog  

Napanee Public Library

Completed 1901

Napanee erected a new public library in 1901 after generous donations were received. Mr. Uriah Wilson, a local M.P., gave property within a park and Mr. John Wilson and Mr. Harvey Warner contributed money for a small building. After a community canvas successfully raised additional offerings for interior fittings, the library began operation on a subscription public library basis.

Cost: $3,000 building; $600 site; $900 furnishings.

Size: 30 ft. x 30 ft.

Source: Report of the Minister of Education (Ontario) for 1908

Photo caption: Napanee public library exterior, c.1901-1908

Page created on 26 May 1997
Last modified on

Created February 1996 | Book requests or comments to: Libraries Today | top of this page |