About Libs Today | Digital docs | Ontario history | Photo gallery | Blog  

Ottawa Public Library

Opened 30 April 1906


Entrance to Carnegie Library, c.1905.

Exterior finished in Indiana limestone and local freestone.

In 1901 the Ottawa city council formally accepted a $100,000 promise from Andrew Carnegie to build a free public library. The building was completed in 1906 and opened by Carnegie in April of the same year.

Main floor: stack room at rear, reading room, delivery room, children's room reference room, ladies' room, catalogue room, and librarian's room.

Size: 115 ft. x 105 ft.

Source: Archives of Ontario, S-2047

Page created on 13 May 1997
Last modified on

Created February 1996 | Book requests or comments to: Libraries Today | top of this page |