About Libs Today | Digital docs | Ontario history | Photo gallery | Blog  

Palmerston Public Library

Carnegie promise 4 Feb. 1902

Palmerston Carnegie exterior, c.1905

After Palmerston received a Carnegie grant of $10,000 at the beginning of 1902, the town secured a site and construction began on a new library which opened in 1903. The Palmerston building included a large public meeting space and offices for municipal officials. In subsequent years, Carnegie's secretary, James Bertrum, refused to allow these features to be incorporated with a library.

Source: Archives of Ontario, S-2048

Page created on 25 May 1997
Last modified on

Created February 1996 | Book requests or comments to: Libraries Today | top of this page |