About Libs Today | Digital docs | Ontario history | Photo gallery | Blog  

Sarnia Public Library

Opened 26 November 1903


Sarnia exterior, c.1905: stone and pressed brick with cut stone trimmings, metal dome, and slate roof.

A free public library was approved by Sarnia citizens at the beginning of 1900. In 1902, the library board received a promise of $15,000 from Andrew Carnegie and a further $5,000 in 1905. The building was located in Victoria Park and opened to the public in November 1903. It became notable before 1910 across Ontario for permitting free access to book stacks and for its children's work. The building was demolished in 1960.

Main floor: reading rooms, children's room, board and librarian's office, reference and circulating stacks.

Cost: approximately $20,000 for the building and $1,500 for furnishings.

Size: 65 ft. x 80 ft.

Source: Archives of Ontario, S-2056

Interior view (Source: Archives of Ontario, S-2057, c.1905)

Page created on 13 May 1997
Last modified on

Created February 1996 | Book requests or comments to: Libraries Today | top of this page |