About Libs Today | Digital docs | Ontario history | Photo gallery | Blog  

Simcoe Public Library, free public library 1884

Residents in Simcoe founded a mechanics' institute in 1872 and transferred its property and assets on Peel Street to the town in 1884 for use as a free public library. The town council rented the upstairs floor for meetings. This building served the community until a Carnegie promise of $10,000 was received in January 1910. After this time, construction began on a new library which opened to the public in 1912.

Source: Simcoe Public Library.

Photo caption: Simcoe Public Library street front, n.d.

Page created on 26 May 1997
Last modified on

Created February 1996 | Book requests or comments to: Libraries Today | top of this page |