About Libs Today | Digital docs | Ontario history | Photo gallery | Blog  

Smith's Falls Public Library, opened 25 Feb. 1904

Smith's Falls Carnegie library, c.1905:
stone basement with pressed brick.

After a gift from Andrew Carnegie was received for the sum of $11,000 on 23 January 1902, Smith's Falls proceeded to erect a handsome Beaux Arts style library which was completed in 1903. Andrew Carnegie personally visited the library on 28 April 1906. Three prominent citizens--Francis, Charles, and William Frost--pledged money to operate the library for the following twenty years.

Main floor: board room, reading room, stack room, ladies' reading room, and reference room.

Size: 57 ft. x 51 ft.

Source: Archives of Ontario, S-2059

Page created on 20 May 1997
Last modified on

Created February 1996 | Book requests or comments to: Libraries Today | top of this page |