About Libs Today | Digital docs | Ontario history | Photo gallery | Blog  

St. Catharines Public Library, opened January 1905

St. Catharines pressed brick and
Roman stone exterior, c.1905.

St. Catharines established a free public library in 1888. The library board received a $25,000 gift from Andrew Carnegie in December 1901. Its new building opened to the public on 2 January 1905, although free access was not permitted to the stack room collections.

Cost: $25,000 building; $3,000 furnishings

Main floor: stack room, general reading room, children's reading room, reference room; ladies' reading room.

Size: 66 ft. x 43 ft.

Source: Archives of Ontario, S-2052

Page created on 19 May 1997
Last modified on

Created February 1996 | Book requests or comments to: Libraries Today | top of this page |