About Libs Today | Digital docs | Ontario history | Photo gallery | Blog  

St. Mary's Public Library, opened August 1905


St. Mary's public library, c.1905. Exterior finished in limestone.

St. Mary's received a $10,000 promise from Andrew Carnegie in March 1904 and proceeded with construction of a new library. It was completed by July 1905 on a lot adjacent to the Town Hall. Free access was not permitted to books.

Main floor: reading room, board room, stack room.

Size: 50 ft. x 40 ft.

Source: Archives of Ontario, S-2053

Page created on 22 May 1997
Last modified on

Created February 1996 | Book requests or comments to: Libraries Today | top of this page |