About Libs Today | Digital docs | Ontario history | Photo gallery | Blog  

Stratford Public Library, completed Sept. 1903

Stratford front entrance: exterior red brick and stone foundation, c.1906

A free public library was established in Stratford in 1897. With a $15,000 grant from Andrew Carnegie, a new library was completed and opened to the public in autumn 1903. Free access was permitted to all books except fiction.

Main floor: reading and reference rooms, children's reading room, stack rooms, charging desk.

Cost: $14,600 for the building and $500 for fittings.

Size: 53 ft. x 62 ft.

Source: Archives of Ontario, S-2198

Page created on 13 May 1997
Last modified on

Created February 1996 | Book requests or comments to: Libraries Today | top of this page |