About Libs Today | Digital docs | Ontario history | Photo gallery | Blog  

Toronto cornerstone ceremony, College St., 27 Nov. 1906


An important step in the construction of new libraries is the ceremonial laying of the cornerstone with officials in attendance offering short speeches. At Toronto, the promise of a Carnegie grant in 1903 led to selection of a site, an architectural competition, and an official laying of the cornerstone on 27 November 1906. William G. Falconbridge, a library trustee, presided. The Globe commented:
    His Lordship stated that there was no question in this day of the value of free libraries to communities. The objection that a preponderating number of works of fiction circulated through a free library, instead of more solid reading, was not a serious objection in the mind of the Chief Justice, who admitted that he was no enemy to novel reading. . . .

The new library opened to the public three years later in October 1909.

Photo caption: Chief Justice William G. Falconbridge laying the cornerstone of the public reference library at College St. on 27 November 1906
Photo source: Archives of Ontario, S-1252
Page created on 10 May 1997
Last modified on


Created February 1996 | Book requests or comments to: Libraries Today | top of this page |