About Libs Today | Digital docs | Ontario history | Photo gallery | Blog  

Uxbridge Public Library, presented 8 Dec. 1887

In 1887 Joseph Gould, a former local M.P. and a member of Uxbridge's mechanics' institute, donated a building, the Joseph Gould Institute, to be used as a library. The building cost $5,000 to construct and featured a clock tower. The interior included a gymnasium in the basement and living quarters for the librarian on the second floor. Uxbridge established a free public library just over a decade later in February 1898.

Main floor: stack room, reading room, and delivery desk.

Size: 27 ft. x 56 ft.

Source: Report of the Minister of Education (Ontario) for 1907

Photo caption: Joseph Gould Institute, n.d.: white brick and red-brick trim

Page created on 10 May 1997
Last modified on

Created February 1996 | Book requests or comments to: Libraries Today | top of this page |