Department of Integrative Biology
Faculty profile web page: http://www.uoguelph.ca/ib/faculty/faculty_danzmann.shtml
Evolutionary, developmental and physiological genetics of fishes
Current and Recent Grad Students
B.Sc. 1978 (Guelph)
M.Sc. 1982 (Guelph)
Ph.D. 1986 (Montana)
My research focuses on examining the adaptive significance of genetic variation in fishes. My studies are concentrated on identifying, characterizing, and investigating the mechanism of action, of genes that have important influences on fitness traits in salmonid fishes.
- Timusk, E.R., Ferguson, M.M., Moghadam, H.K., Norman, J.D., Wilson, C.C., and Danzmann, R.G. 2011. Genome evolution in the fish family Salmonidae: Generation of a brook charr genetic map and comparisons among charrs (Arctic charr and brook charr) with rainbow trout. BMC Genetics 12: 68.
- Küttner, E., Nilsson, J., Skulason, S., Gunnarsson, S., Ferguson, M.M., and Danzmann, R.G. 2011. Sex chromosome polymorphisms in Arctic charr and their evolutionary origins. Genome 54: 852-861.
- Paibomesai, M.I., Moghadam, H.K., Ferguson, M.M., and Danzmann, R.G. 2010. Clock genes and their genomic distributions in three species of salmonid fishes: Associations with genes regulating sexual maturation and cell cycling. BMC Research Notes 3:215.
- Moghadam, H.K., Ferguson, M.M., and Danzmann, R.G. 2009. Comparative genomics and evolution of non-coding elements in rainbow trout. BMC Genomics 10:278.
- . Danzmann, R.G., Davidson, E.A., Ferguson, M.M., Gharbi, K., Hoyheim, B., Koop, B.F., Lien, S., Lubieniecki, K.P., Moghadam, H.K., Phillips, R.B., and W.S. Davidson. 2008. Distribution of ancestral proto-Actinopterygian chromosome arms within the genomes of 4R-derivative salmonid fishes (Rainbow trout and Atlantic salmon). BMC Genomics 9:557.
- Allendorf, F.W., and R.G. Danzmann. 1997. Secondary tetrasomic segregation of MDH-B and preferential pairing of homeologues in rainbow trout. Genetics 145: 1083-1092.
- Danzmann, R.G. 1998. MTDIS: A computer program to estimate genetic distances among populations based upon variation in single copy DNA. J. Hered. 89: 283-284. (See 'link' to software below).
- Sakamoto, T., R.G. Danzmann, N. Okamoto, M.M. Ferguson, and P.E. Ihssen. 1999. Linkage analysis of quantitative trait loci associated with spawning time in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Aquaculture 173: 33-43.
- Danzmann, R.G. 1997. PROBMAX: A computer program for assigning unknown parentage in pedigree analysis from known genotypic pools of parents and progeny. J. Hered. 88: 333. (See 'link' to software below)
- Sakamoto, T., R.G. Danzmann, K. Gharbi, P. Howard, A. Ozaki, S-K. Khoo, R.A. Woram, N. Okamoto, M.M. Ferguson, L-E. Holm, R. Guyomard, and B. Hoyheim. 2000. A microsatellite linkage map of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) characterized by large sex-specific differences in recombination rates. Genetics 155: 1331-1345.
Link to Computer Software
Link to Manuscript Appendices