Publications and Papers
Please see my Research Website,
which provides a continuously-updated list of writings, sorted by topic. This page is updated less frequently.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- McKitrick, Ross R. (2013) Encompassing Tests of Socioeconomic Signals in Surface Climate Data.Climatic Change doi 10.1007/s10584-013-0793-5
- McKitrick, Ross R., Mark Strazicich and Junsoo Lee (2012) Long-Term Forecasting of Global Carbon Dioxide Emissions: Reducing uncertainties Using a Per-Capita Approach. Journal of Forecasting DOI: 10.1002/for.2248
- McKitrick, Ross R. and Lise Tole (2012) Evaluating Explanatory Models of the Spatial Pattern of Surface Climate Trends using Model Selection and Bayesian Averaging Methods. Climate Dynamics December 2012, Volume 39, Issue 12, pp 2867-2882.
- Hu, Bin and Ross R. McKitrick (2012) Discount Rate Distortions and the Resource Curse South African Journal of Economics, accepted.
- McIntyre, Stephen and Ross McKitrick (2011) Discussion of: A Statistical Analysis of Multiple Temperature Proxies: Are Reconstructions of Surface Temperatures Over the Last 1000 Years Reliable? Annals of Applied Statistics Vol. 5, No. 1, 56-6 DOI: 10.1214/10-AOAS398L.
- McKitrick, Ross R., Stephen McIntyre and Chad Herman (2010) Panel and Multivariate Methods for Tests of Trend Equivalence in Climate Data Sets. Atmospheric Science Letters DOI: 10.1002/asl.290.
- McKitrick, Ross R. (2010) Atmospheric Oscillations do not Explain the Temperature-Industrialization Correlation. Statistics, Politics and Policy, Vol 1 No. 1, July 2010.
- McKitrick, Ross R. and Nicolas Nierenberg (2010)
Socioeconomic Patterns in Climate Data. Journal of Economic and Social Measurement, 35(3,4) pp. 149-175. DOI 10.3233/JEM-2010-0336.
- McKitrick, Ross R. (2010) A Simple State-Contingent Pricing Rule for Complex Intertemporal Externalities. Energy Economics doi:10.1016/j.eneco.2010.06.013
- Koop, Gary M., Ross R. McKitrick and Lise A. Tole (2010) Air Pollution, Economic Activity and Respiratory Illness: Evidence from Canadian Cities, 1974-1994 Environmental Modeling and Software , DOI:10.1016/j.envsoft.2010.01.010.
- McIntyre, Stephen and Ross R. McKitrick (2009) Proxy Inconsistency and Other Problems in Millennial Paleoclimate Reconstructions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, February 10, 2009, doi: 10.1073/pnas.0812509106.
- McKitrick, Ross R. and Patrick J. Michaels. (2007) Quantifying the influence of anthropogenic surface processes and inhomogeneities on gridded surface climate data. Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres 112, D24S09, doi:10.1029/2007JD008465.
- Essex, Christopher, Andresen, Bjarne and Ross McKitrick. (2007) Does a Global Temperature Exist? Journal of Nonequilibrium Thermodynamics, Vol 32 No. 1
- McKitrick, Ross R. (2006) Why Did US Air Pollution Decline After 1970? Empirical Economics , 33(3): 491-513, DOI:10.1007/s00181-006-0111-4.
- McKitrick, Ross (2006). The Politics of Pollution: Party Regimes and Air Quality in Canada Canadian Journal of Economics 39(2), May 2006, 604-620.
- McKitrick, Ross (2005). Decentralizing a Regulatory Standard Expressed in Ratio or Intensity Form. Energy Journal 26(4) 1-9.
- McIntyre, Stephen and Ross McKitrick (2005)Reply to Comment by von Storch and Zorita on "Hockey Sticks, Principal Components and Spurious Significance"Geophysical Research Letters 32(20) L20714 10.1029/2005GL023089 21 October 2005
- McIntyre, Stephen and Ross McKitrick (2005)Reply to Comment by Huybers on "Hockey Sticks, Principal Components and Spurious Significance" Geophysical Research Letters 32(20) L20714 10.1029/2005GL023586 21 October 2005<
- McIntyre, Stephen and Ross McKitrick (2005)The M&M Critique of the MBH98 Northern Hemisphere Climate Index: Update and Implications Energy and Environment 16(1) pp. 69-100.
- McIntyre, Stephen and Ross McKitrick (2005)Hockey Sticks, Principal Components and Spurious Significance Geophysical Research LettersVol. 32, No. 3, L03710 10.1029/2004GL021750 12 February 2005.
- McKitrick, Ross and Patrick J. Michaels (2004). "Are Temperature Trends Affected by Economic Activity? Reply to Benestad (2004)" Climate Research 27(2) pp. 175-176.
- McIntyre, S. and R. McKitrick (2004). Materials Complaint Concerning 'Global Scale Temperature Patterns and Climate Forcing over the Past Six Centuries' Nature 430 July 1, 2004, p. 105.
- McKitrick, Ross and Patrick J. Michaels (2004). A Test of Corrections for Extraneous Signals in Gridded Surface Temperature DataClimate Research 26 pp. 159-173.
- McIntyre, Steven and Ross McKitrick, (2003). Corrections to the Mann et. al. (1998) Proxy Data Base and Northern Hemisphere Average Temperature Series. Environment and Energy 14(6) pp. 751-771.
- McKitrick, Ross R. (2002) Inference About Trends in Temperature Data After Controlling for Serial Correlation and Heteroskedastic Variance. Invited Paper, Proceedings of the Russian Geographical Society 164(3) pp. 16-24. (English version)
- McKitrick, Ross and Timothy Shufelt (2002). Environmental Impacts of Enhanced Property Rights. Environment and Energy 13(3) pp. 367-382.
- McKitrick, Ross R. and Robert C. Collinge. (2002) The Existence and Uniqueness of Optimal Pollution Policy in the Presence of Victim Defense Measures.Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 44, pp 106-122
- McKitrick, Ross R. (2001)The Design of Regulations Expressed as Ratios or Percentage Quotas. Journal of Regulatory Economics 19(3), pp. 295-305.
- Weersink, Alfons, Ross McKitrick and Michael Nailor (2001)The Economics of Voluntary Shared Cost Programs Current Agriculture, Food and Resource Issues 2/2001:23-36.(CAFRI)
- McKitrick, Ross R. (2001). Mitigation versus Compensation in Global Warming Policy" Economics Bulletin, Vol 17 no. 2 pp. 1-6.
- McKitrick, Ross R. and Robert C. Collinge, (2000) Linear Pigovian Taxes and the Optimal Size of a Polluting Industry Canadian Journal of Economics 33(4) pp. 1106-1119.
- McKitrick, Ross R. (1999) A Derivation of the Marginal Abatement Cost Function. Journal of Environmental Economics and Management May 1999, pp. 306-314.
- Helliwell, John F. and Ross R. McKitrick, (1999) Comparing Capital Mobility across National and Provincial Borders Canadian Journal of Economics 32(5) pp. 1164-1173. additional results
- McKitrick, Ross R. (1999) A Cournot Mechanism for Pollution Control under Asymmetric Information Environmental and Resource Economics October 1999, pp. 353-363.
- McKitrick, Ross R. (1998) The Econometric Critique of Applied General Equilibrium Modelling: The Role of Functional Forms. Economic Modelling 15 pp. 543-573.
- McKitrick, Ross (1997). Double-Dividend Environmental Taxation and Canadian Carbon Emissions Control Canadian Public Policy December 1997, pp. 417-434.
- McKitrick, Ross R. (2004) Budget 03 and the Kyoto Process. In The 2003 Federal Budget: Conflicting Tensions (C. Beach ed.), John Deutsch Institute, Kingston Ont., Spring 2004.
- McKitrick, Ross R. (2005) and Carl Mitcham, Economics:Overview in The Macmillan Encyclopedia of Science, Technology and Ethics, Thompson Gale, July 2005.
- McKitrick, Ross R. (2007) Bringing Balance, Disclosure and Due Diligence into Science-Based Policymaking. In Porter, Jene ed., Public Science in Liberal Democracy: The Challenge to Science and Democracy, University of Toronto Press, 2007.
- McKitrick, Ross R. (2006) The Mann et al. Northern Hemisphere Hockey Stick Climate Index: A Tale of Due Diligence. in Michaels, Patrick, ed. Shattered Consensus: The True State of Global Warming. Rowman and Littlefield, 2006.
- McKitrick, Ross R. (2008) Response to David Henderson's "Governments and Climate Change Issues: the Flawed Consensus" in Todd, Walker and Kerry Lynch, eds. American Institute of Economic Research Economic Education Bulletin, vol. 48 no. 5 (May 2008) Special Issue The Global Warming Debate: Science, Economics and Policy. pp. 83-104.
- McKitrick, Ross R. (2008) Air Pollution Policy in Canada: Improving on Success in Schneider, N. ed., A Breath of Fresh Air: Market-Based Solutions for Environmental Challenges, Vancouver: Fraser Institute, September 2008.
- McKitrick, Ross R. and Olavi Karner (2009) Long Term Persistence and Nonstationarity in Geophysical Data. In McKitrick, Ross R. (ed.) Critical Topics in Global Warming, Vancouver: Fraser Institute (April 2009).
- DAleo, Joseph, Madhav Khandekar and Ross R. McKitrick (2009) Problems with the Global Surface Thermometer Network. In McKitrick, Ross R. (ed.) Critical Topics in Global Warming, Vancouver: Fraser Institute (April 2009).
- McKitrick, Ross R. (2010) Rational Global Climate Policy in an Uncertain World (in German) in Hentrich, Steffen and Krahmer, Holger, eds., Realitatscheck fur den Klimaschutz: Globale Klimapolitik zwischen Anspruch und Wirklichkeit, ELF: Berlin.
- McKitrick, Ross R. (2012) State-Contingent Pricing as a Response to Uncertainty in Climate Policy in Fouquet, Roger, ed. Handbook on Energy and Climate Change., Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- McKitrick, Ross R. (2012) Choosing Priorities To Balance Economic Growth And Environmental Protection. In Beijing Forum 2011: The Harmony of Civilizations and Prosperity for All-Tradition and Modernity, Transition and Transformation, Beijing.
(Much) Older Global Warming-Related Articles and Presentations
Pre-2005 Air Pollution-Related Articles and Presentations
- McKitrick, Ross R., Kenneth Green and Joel Schwartz (2005) Pain Without Gain: Shutting Down Coal-Fired Power
Plants Would Hurt Ontario". Fraser Institute, January 2005.
- McKitrick, Ross R. (2004). "Power Plants, Air Quality and Health: The Case for Re-examining Ontario's Coal Policy" Prepared for the Power Workers Union, May 2004.
- McKitrick, Ross R. (2004). "Air Pollution, Health and Mortality: Separating Fact from Fiction." Presentation to the Association of Major Power Consumers of Ontario, Toronto, April 2004.
- McKitrick, Ross R. (2004). "Particulates, Energy Consumption and Affluence" Fraser Forum April 2004
- McKitrick, Ross R. (2003). "How to repair the air in our cities" Fraser Forum April 2003
- Review of International Environmental Policy: Interests and the Failure of the Kyoto Process The World Economy January 2004
- Review of Economics of Coastal and Water Resources: Valuing
Environmental Functions The World Economy June 2002
- Review of The Collapse of the Kyoto Protocol and the Struggle to Slow
Global Warming by David Victor, Policy Options May-June 2002.
Other Policy Papers
Econometrica, American Economic Review, Economic Journal, Canadian Journal of Economics, Journal of Regulatory Economics, Canadian Public Policy, Physical Geography, Journal of Climate, Journal of Geophysical Research, Canadian Journal of Economics, Environment and Resource Economics, Energy Journal, Resource and Energy Economics, International Journal of Climatology, Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, The World Economy.