Transfer Credits

Why are there so many types of transfer credits?     

Given the course match (both in content and subject areas taught at Guelph), there are three types of transfer credits:

  1. Exact Equivalent: Transfer credits that appear with a course code and name that can be found in the Undergraduate Calendar are courses that you have been granted exact credit. For example if “BIOL*1500 Humans in the Natural World” appears on your letter, then a course that you took at your previous institution covered the same material as this course. The course will count towards your degree and program requirements if it fits into the requirements for your major.
  2. Guelph Subject Area, Generic Course Code: Transfer credits for which the University of Guelph has a comparable subject area, but not an exact course equivalent will appear as a generic equivalent. For example, “GEOG*9110 First Year Geography” is a generic first year geography course. You have learned enough to earn a credit, but the content does not match one of our existing courses. The pieces of the course code each have meaning. The subject area is Geography, the first digit, '9', means the credit is generic and taken at another institution, the second digit indicates the year level at which the course was taken (1-first year, 2-second year etc.) and the remaining two digits indicate that it is a transfer credit.
  3. Generic Subject Area: When you have taken a course in a subject area not offered by the University of Guelph, a generic subject area is assigned. This means you have learned something of value, but not in an area taught here at Guelph. These credits will typically be of the subject area “FREE”. For example, “FREE*9110 Free Elective” is a first year course in the “FREE” subject area.

If you feel you have learned the content of a required course for your degree, but do not have credit for it, Admissions may have determined that you did not have enough overlap to grant you the exact credit. You may discuss this concern with your Program Counsellor. If there is an agreement that you have covered enough of the required course, you may either be given a substitution or a request will be made by the Program Counsellor to change your transfer credits.

Course outlines of your previous courses will be required to redo the assessment of the content of your course. You will also be required to outline (in writing) where you see the overlap in content occurring. If you are granted a substitution this does not mean you have been granted the credit and therefore you do not have the requirement for prerequisites. You would be required to talk to any instructor of a course requiring the course you have a substitution for to see if you are still able to take their course.

You only need to complete this process for courses that are required for your program. This means core courses and restricted electives in your major. Free electives can remain as generic credits.

How are my transfer credits used in my new program?

Transfer credits become part of your completed course work and will count towards your credit count. Whether they match a core requirement will depend on the credit given. Exact Equivalent courses will automatically be counted towards your requirements (if they match a required course). Most Generic Course Code and Generic Subject Area courses will count as electives, towards your 20.00 credits to graduate.

How long will it take me to graduate?

A student entering the BLA program will take four years to complete the program. The majority of the core Landscape Architecture (LARC) courses require previous LARC courses as such with the prerequisites and semester offerings there is limited possibility of taking courses early. 

Requirements for your major can be found in the Undergraduate Calendar. You may also find your Program/Academic Evaluation on WebAdvisor helpful as it outlines where your transfer credits are being used and highlights what you have left to take.

There will be opportunity to use transfer credits to take a lighter course load and/or take off Semester 6. Connect with your Program Counsellor for options.

Variables to consider when planning your semesters are the prerequisites required for a course, whether it is available in a certain semester (some may be either Fall or Winter only; semester offering is noted as “F”, “W” or “S” beside the course title in the Undergraduate Calendar course descriptions) and if it fits in with your other courses. Using the information in the Undergraduate Calendar, you can begin to estimate your completion time. Your plan may change but it is important to have an insight into the courses that may limit when you can graduate.

Please note that there may not be an opportunity to use all of your transfer credits and you may have to take additional credits in the relevant subject areas to complete the requirements for the program. This may mean you graduate with more than the required 20.00 credits.

Students transferring from the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology from the Landscape Architectural Technology program and from the Fanshawe College from the Landscape Design program will complete in two years. A completion plan is available from your Program Counsellor.

When do I pick my courses?

Once you have accepted your Offer of Admission you will be contacted by Enrolment Services with details on the course selection process. New Student Registration for the Fall semester typically begins mid-June. If you are an internal transfer student or come from a Guelph diploma, you will not be considered a New Student and will register during In Course student registration times. It is best to choose your courses as early as possible as courses do fill up. You will be choosing only your Fall courses at this time; course selection for the Winter semester takes place in November.

Where do I find information on dates, fees, regulations etc.?

The Undergraduate Calendar is a comprehensive on-line publication that contains all this information and more. It is a good starting point if you are looking for information. Also, each administrative and academic department on campus has a webpage that can be accessed by starting at the main University of Guelph page.

What is the maximum number of credits that can be transferred from my previous studies?

The maximum amount of credits that can be transferred from a completed degree program at another university is 10.00 credits. Up to 10.00 credits may be granted to students from a three-year diploma program, and up to 5.00 credits may be granted to students from a two-year diploma program (with the exception of an articulation agreement). Please note that not all transfer credits may be applicable to your program.