Your success depends above all on your own response to the opportunities and responsibilities that the University environment provides. The University of Guelph is committed to supporting you in your intellectual development and responding to your individual needs. To this end, a broad network of advising, counselling, and support services is provided to assist you in meeting your personal and academic goals. At the same time, we recognize that, as a student here, you are responsible for:
- Knowing the University's Learning Outcomes;
- Familiarizing yourself with the Undergraduate Degree Regulations & Procedures and understanding the grading procedures and continuation of study regulations;
- Selecting a program of study to meet both degree and specialization requirements and carefully reviewing the personalized Program/Academic Evaluation on WebAdvisor. A student's Program/Academic Evaluation lists the degree requirements you have completed and those still outstanding;
- Contacting your Program Counsellor or Faculty Advisor for appropriate approvals, for clarification of the University's rules and regulations, or for guidance in forming your educational goals and making academic plans. Once a student has declared a specialization, a faculty advisor will be available to assist you;
- Attending first class meetings, obtaining course outlines, and meeting the course requirements as specified;
- Familiarizing yourself with the Schedule of Dates with particular attention devoted to deadlines;
- Referring to the University of Guelph's procedures for Academic Consideration and initiating action by consulting your Program Counsellor if extenuating circumstances affect your academic performance;
- Understanding what constitutes Academic Misconduct and abiding by the University's policy;
- Adhering to any rules of conduct relating to health and safety provided by an instructor or assistant, either on a course outline or in a class, laboratory or seminar;
- Checking your assigned University of Guelph email account regularly for important communications. This account is the primary conduit by which the University will notify you of events, deadlines, announcements concerning grades, student financial accounts and other official information.
To achieve your full potential within the University environment, you are encouraged to take advantage of the numerous extra-curricular opportunities provided by the University of Guelph, and balance them with your academic commitments.