What is a major?

A major is a specific discipline that you can choose to focus on as your main area of study within the degree program. In the B.Sc.(Env.), you can select one of four majors. All students entering into the program are admitted with an undeclared major. You will not be required to declare a major (choose an area of focus) until after your first year. Declaring your major is done in consultation with your Program Counsellor by making an appointment or coming to the Program Counselling office during a posted drop-in time.

How do I know which courses to take?

Follow your Undergraduate Calendar Schedule. It will list the core courses you must complete to graduate with a B.Sc.(Env.) degree.

When do I get to take electives?

A schedule of studies is listed for undergraduate students in the B.Sc.(Env.) degree in the Undergraduate Calendar. This is a list of the courses that a student will take to obtain the degree while also listing the amount of electives students will take.

Are there Co-op options?

All majors within the B.Sc.(Env.) have a Co-op option. There are two opportunities to apply for entry: application for admission directly from high school or during the first year at University of Guelph. If you are considering a switch into Co-op after having already started the degree program, it is recommended that you get updated information given by the Co-operative Education and Career Services before making your decision. Students begin their first work term after their third academic semester and follow a specific schedule of academic and work terms. The complete degree program is completed after four and a half years.

What is Distance Education or "DE"?

Distance Education (DE) is a learning style that allows students to learn independently. Courses offered through DE have no classes; they are offered online only. These courses are offered by the University of Guelph through the Office of Open Learning to provide more flexibility for students who cannot or who prefer not to participate in more traditional learning opportunities. For more information please see Open Learning. Please see the Schedule of Fees to see the additional costs associated with taking a course in DE format. Not all courses are offered in DE format.

Who do I approach if I am having problems with my courses?

There are several places for you to get assistance with class material. Options include asking the course instructor questions after class or during posted office hours, Supported Learning Groups (SLGs), Teaching Assistant (TA) office hours, as well as help sessions offered by the individual class. You also have the option of hiring a tutor if you feel it is necessary. See Additional Support available to students.

Do all class sections have the same professor?

Not all class sections have the same professor. Some of the larger classes (classes that all science students require such as CHEM*1040) may have different professors because there are so many different sections. The assigned professor is generally listed in your class schedule on WebAdvisor. In some cases, where there is more than one professor who teaches the class throughout the semester, WebAdvisor will list the Course Coordinator and you will find out the assigned professors from the course outline on the first day of class. If you miss a lab or have a conflict of another kind, contact your Course Coordinator. Course Coordinators generally do not teach the course.

What do I do if I am ill for an assignment, midterm of lab?

If you are ill, and unable to complete any graded work that takes place during the semester (i.e. before the last class day), please follow the instructions provided to you in the Course Outline or contact the Course Instructor. If you are unsure who to contact or what to do, then please contact your Program Counsellor. Do not write a midterm exam unless you are confident that you are medically fit to do so. Once an exam has been written there are vey limited options in terms of academic consideration (none of which are guaranteed).

What do I do if I am ill during Final Exams (or have other valid grounds for missing a Final Exam or Final Assignment)?

Do not write an exam unless you are confident that you are medically/psychologically fit to do so. Once an exam has been written, there are very limited options in terms of academic consideration (none of which are guaranteed).

If you are ill, please go to your doctor or Student Health Services and obtain medical documentation. When you are well enough to return to campus, please bring the original copy to the Program Counselling office and ask for a Deferred Privilege Request form to apply for a Deferred Final Exam or Deferred Condition. A Deferred Condition would normally refer to a situation where the missed work is a final assignment or final paper, for example usually something other than a regularly scheduled exam. The policy on Academic Consideration can be a helpful resource.

Can I repeat a course?

If you fail a course (grade below 50%), you can register for it and take it again. However, both grades will be factored into your average and will remain on your transcript. If you pass a course (grade of 50% or higher) you cannot retake it.

What is the difference between full-time and part-time?

Full-time registration is enrolment in 2.00 or more credits. Part-time registration is 0.25-1.75 credits. Information relating to how full-time versus part-time status affects tuition can be found at Student Financial Services.

Is there some kind of accommodation given if I have three or more midterms or exams in a 24 hour period?

No. The exam schedule is always posted before the end of the Course Selection Period. It is your responsibility to check when your finals are. If you have exams that are scheduled at the same time or overlap in any way, you need to drop and choose another course before the end of the Course Selection Period. More information can be found by reading the University of Guelph's policy on final examinations, under the heading Student's Responsibilities.

What is the minimum average I need to stay in the program?

Many variables determine the answer to this question. First, whether your Admission Status is Schedule 1 or Schedule 2. Second, your Current Academic Status determines the average you need to maintain in order to stay enrolled in the B.Sc. (Env.) degree program.

What is the difference between a Program Counsellor and a Faculty Advisor?

Program Counsellors have in-depth knowledge regarding program requirements as well as University of Guelph regulations, policies and procedures. Program Counsellors can assist you in the development of your educational plans by asking appropriate questions and identifying alternatives. Program Counsellors can help you explore outcomes by providing useful information about who to talk to and how to get in touch with them. If you are experiencing issues of a personal, medical, or psychological nature affecting your academics, a Program Counsellor may be helpful in identifying campus resources and can discuss your academic options. The B.Sc. (Env.) Program Counsellor is:

Carie Devitt
519-824-4120 x 58475
Johnston Hall, Room 133A

Faculty Advisors provide information as well as ideas regarding career opportunities relating to your major or specialization. They provide assistance to students with selecting courses required for their major and can provide assistance in schedule planning for completing course requirements. Click here for faculty advisor contact information.