Can I transfer my assigned university phone number to my personal VoIP phone?

No, you cannot transfer your university residence extension to your personal VoIP phone. Residence phone numbers are extensions rather than actual phone numbers. As a result they are non-transferable. You will likely need a new phone number from your VoIP service provider unless you already have one with your device.