InfoSec Blog - Information Security Is Everyone's Responsibility
October 3, 2016
For over a decade, colleges and universities have promoted National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM) each October as part of a collaborative effort to ensure everyone has the resources they need to stay safe online.
Did you know?
- 93% of Americans believe their online actions can help make the web safer for everyone.
- However, 28% of Americans say they lack knowledge about ways to stay safer online. (Source)
It is important for each of us to be aware of the increasing security risks of mobile devices, from laptops and tablets to smartphones and wearable technology, and 24/7 access to our personal data.
- Protect Your Device: Add a passcode to your cell phone, tablet, or laptop right now!
- Use Strong Passwords or Passphrases: Especially for online banking and other important accounts.
- Check Your Social Media Settings: Review your social media security and privacy settings frequently. Enable two-step verification whenever possible.
- Educate Yourself: Stay informed about the latest technology trends and security issues such as malware and phishing.
- Get Trained: Visit the Information Security website frequently and contact us for additional resources or training opportunities.
Source: Educause Security Awareness