InfoSec Blog - Cyber Security Awareness Month 2020 - Week #4 Phishing Awareness
October 26, 2020
As we enter the final week of Cyber Security Awareness Month for 2020 we want to end with a bang! Help spread the word to get our engagement numbers up on all of our events:
- Take this week’s Phishing Awareness quiz for a chance to win a Starbucks gift card.
- Join us for our ‘Ask the InfoSec Team’ live panel discussion on Wednesday October 28
- Have some fun by trying our Virtual Escape Room or Capture the Flag challenge and have a chance for some great prizes!
Visit our 2020 Roadshow website (uoguel.ph/2020roadshow) for all the details!
This Week is Phishing Awareness Week!
Phishing remains one of the most pervasive threats to your online security. Knowing what phishing is and how to recognize the common signs of a phishing message are your best defense!
- Learn how the University of Guelph handles phishing (Phishing Scams at U of G: What You Need to Know)
- Know the risks, be cautious, confirm before you click, and pay attention to the details (Don’t Take the Bait)
- Bad actors will try to take advantage of emergencies and disasters to get your information (COVID 19: Stay Calm and Don't Get Scammed)
- Phishing doesn’t just happen over email (Phishing, SMiShing, and Vishing)
- Practice your phish-spotting skills (Google Phishing Quiz)
- When in doubt, report it to the CCS Help Centre.
Our friends at SANS and the Canadian Centre for Cyber Security have also released articles on phishing which may be of interest:
Are you already a pro at spotting phishing messages? Want to win a $25 Starbucks Gift Card? Simply take this week’s security awareness quiz for a chance to win!
‘Ask the InfoSec Team’ Panel Discussion – Wednesday October 28
On Wednesday we will be hosting our final live discussion panel where you get to “Ask the InfoSec Team”. We will answer all of your questions about cyber security and learn how we deal with information security at the University of Guelph. If you have a question for us, you can submit it ahead of time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or better yet join us on Wednesday! Visit the Roadshow website for full details and a link to download the calendar invite.
This session is free to attend and all student attendees will be entered into a draw for a brand new iPad!
Cyber Security Awareness Training
Don’t forget to complete one of our new interactive cyber security awareness training modules for University staff and faculty. Complete either one of these modules in October and you will be entered in a draw for ONE of TEN $25 Starbucks gift cards!
Thank you for your assistance and continued support in our cyber security awareness efforts, and please feel free to share this message.
Written by: Stephen Willem (Chief Information Security Officer)