Autoconfiguration IP Address - 169.254.x.y
An autoconfiguration IP address (169.254.x.y) means you are not getting a real internet address. This is also referred to as "limited or no connectivity". We have some steps that can help resolve this or identify the issue.
Release/Renew your IP address.
Ensure you are using the correct type of cable (Ethernet) and that it is functional - you can test this with a neighbour's jack. Also ensure that your jack is functional by testing it with your Ethernet cable and a neighbour's computer. If your Ethernet cable is not functional, either replace it (personal cable) or contact your residence desk (the cable from the wall to the phone). If you suspect the jack is broken or deactivated, call the CCS Help Centre at 519-824-4120 x58888 and we will further investigate.
Disable any firewall programs on your computer. Temporarily disable the firewall, and see if that allows you to connect. Some firewalls have settings that make access to ResNet difficult.
- Start button / Control Panel / Security (in category view) / Windows Firewall
- Windows 7 and Vista Only: Click “Turn Windows Firewall on or off”. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
- Click Off (not recommended), and then click OK. For Windows 7 you will need to select this option for each network location.
McAfee VirusScan 8.7i
- Open the VirsuScan Console (right click the McAfee icon in the System tray or Start Menu / All Programs / McAfee)
- Click the red square button (the stop button); push F4, or select the Task Menu / Stop.
Other Firewalls and Anti-Virus Software
There is a huge variety of other security software available. Check the manufacturer’s website for instructions, or reference this topic on Bleeping Computer.
You may have an issue with the network driver on your computer. You can visit the IT Help Desk on the first floor of the Library for assistance, where we can update your computer's drivers. We can also investigate other known issues with ResNet connectivity in person.