Quick Connect Guide
This page provides a quick guide on how to get connected to ResNet.
If you live in West Residence or Family Housing, find out how to get connected here.
PLEASE NOTE: The use of personal wireless routers in residences is PROHIBITED as they interfere with the signal of the University provided access points.
Wireless printers MUST be connected via a hard wire connection if they do not support the secure WPA2 protocol and can safely connect to the uog-wifi-secure network.
Devices and Gaming consoles must be WPA2 Enterprise compliant to use ResNet.
Wireless connection info can be found here.
Step 1 - Plug it in
To connect to ResNet, you're going to need an Ethernet/Network Cable. You probably have one lying around your house, but if not you can get them from any major electronics store (just make sure it's long enough to reach your computer/desk!).
Once you have your Ethernet Cable you just need to plug it in.
- First, plug one end of the Ethernet Cable into the port on the wall in your residence. Note: if you have a phone, it needs to be plugged into LAN 5 (marked in the diagram as 5 do not use).
- In some cases you will have an Access Point that the ethernet cable can be plugged into either of the ports pointed to by the green arrows marked with the '4':
- In other cases you will have an ethernet jack:
- Then, plug the other end of the Ethernet Cable into the ethernet port on your computer.
Step 2 - Open up a Web Browser on your Computer and Sign In
Now all you need to do to get connected is sign in using your University of Guelph Central Login ID and password. To get the page to login, you will need to:
- Open up a Web Browser such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
- Once you have your browser open, you may be automatically redirected to the login page to sign in.
- If not, you can try to navigate to any of your favourite sites!
- After navigating to the website, it should redirect you to the login page.
- Now all you need to do is sign in to the page with your University of Guelph Central Login ID and password (same login as WebAdvisor and GryphMail).
- You are now connected to ResNet!