Web Access Management
Web Access Management (WAM) refers to centrally managed access to web resources, e.g., web applications, static websites, large web-based services, etc. WAM can be applied to a single domain (like uoguelph.ca) or multiple domains (uoguelph.ca, resources.xyz, etc) or an entire federation (for example EduPass.ca). The latter case is sometimes referred to as Federated Access Management (FAM).
Single Sign-On (SSO) provides mechanism for managing user authentication sessions. When users authenticate with an SSO-enabled service they are instantly authenticated with all SSO-enabled services or applications within the given institution or federation. The users need to specify the username and password only once - when they request a web page from another SSO-enabled service their identity is confirmed behind the scenes and user's credentials do not need to be specified again. SSO is typically one of several services provided by WAM.
The following conference presentations provide an overview of SSO, WAM, FAM, Federation, and implementation of these services at UoGuelph :
- COLLABORATE15 conference talk focussing on the Oracle Access Manager technology (solutions, product extensions, lessons learned): session slides and a detailed whitepaper incl. BI Publisher report setup and java REST client development.
- OUCC 2014 presentation on the authentication in the cloud and specifically with Google Apps For Education in PowerPoint or PDF format
ITSIG presentation on SSO in Webhosting and the upcoming GryphMail/Google integration (recording is available in the ITSIG archive on CourseLink for February 2014 meeting)
- ITSIG presentation- Web Access Management Updates in February 2013 (see the Courselink ITSIG archive for more details)
- Transitioning between Access Management Products: Sun to Oracle - conference presentation at EDUCAUSE 2012.
- CANHEIT 2011: Web Access Management and SSO: Transitioning from Sun to Oracle
- ITSAC 2011: Single Sign On @UofG
- OUCC 2010: Developing applications with Desire2Learn Web Services and single sign-on (SSO)
- Some content from the OUCC 2010 talk also included in the presentation at the Desire2Learn conference Fusion 2010 in Chicago, Illinois
- EDUCAUSE 2008: Implementing Web Access Management at the University of Guelph
- OUCC 2008: Web Access Management with the Sun Identity Suite
Logging out from SSO
Before you leave your workstation please log out and close all your browser windows.