As part of a three-year pilot program, all students, faculty and staff from Ontario institutions have access to the full suite of LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com) material. The University of Guelph is a grateful recipient of this initiative. This agreement is the result of a partnership between eCampusOntario, part of the Ontario Government, and LinkedIn.com, on behalf of the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development.
All U of G and U of GH students, staff and faculty can access LinkedIn Learning from anywhere. All that is needed is an internet connection and your U of G or U of GH credentials.
For subsequent logins, you can go directly to LinkedIn Learning.
User do not need to have a LinkedIn account to access LinkedIn Learning, and if users do have a personal LinkedIn account, they are not required to connect it to their LinkedIn Learning account.
Users will be given the option of merging their U of G LinkedIn Learning account with their personal LinkedIn account (or given the option to create a personal LinkedIn account and link it). This is not a required step and can be declined. When these accounts are linked, your organization (U of G) will be able to see your learning activity on your U of G account, your profile information, and any courses from your personal account that you've transferred over to your U of G account. Your organization will NOT be able to see your connections, your private messages, your job search activity, or any learning courses you've viewed from your personal account. You have the option of adding completed course to your LinkedIn profile, or sharing courses with your LinkedIn network, but again, these are not required. For more information on this, please visit https://learning.linkedin.com/cx/lyndaupgrade/launch#connect. For information on what people can see on your LinkedIn account, visit https://www.linkedin.com/help/learning/answer/77. For more details on privacy settings within LinkedIn, please visit https://www.linkedin.com/help/linkedin/answer/92055/understanding-your-privacy-settings?lang=en.
Here are a few more points about privacy with LinkedIn Learning:
- Users do NOT have a defacto LinkedIn account once their LinkedIn Learning account is created.
- Only system administrators are able to see end users in the LinkedIn Learning platform. The user information that exists within the platform (name/email/central login ID/affiliation - staff/student/faculty) exists for authentication purposes only.
- For those who wish to create a LinkedIn account, they will only be required to fill in the basic profile (name, title, email).
- For users who are averse to having a social media presence, the recommendation is NOT to create a LinkedIn profile. In this case, it is recommended that they save their Certificates of Completion to their personal files.
- Users who do connect to a LinkedIn account will have additional benefits (they will be able to use the Q&A feature in the platform and will benefit from the data offered on LinkedIn to help customize their learning). If the LinkedIn Learning contract is not renewed once the three-year pilot is over, users who connected it to their personal LinkedIn account will retain their learning history.
There is no charge for this service. LinkedIn Learning access is funded for all Ontario higher education institutions as part of a three-year pilot from the Ontario Government.